The biggest festival of Kyoto has started! Do you listen to the sound called Gion-bayashi which is a back music of Gion-Matsuri with Japanese flute, drum and bell. It sounds so exciting!
This festival is held the whole July through. I’d like to introduce the highlight events of Gion-Matsuri.
- Welcoming lanterns at Yasaka Shrine, 16:30~
- Mikoshi purification at Shijo-ohashi brigde, 20:00~
- 10th ~ 13th
- Hoko construction at Hoko towns
- 14th ~ 17th
- Eve of the grand Procession at Hoko towns
- Traditional Japanese Perfornance at Yasaka Shrine, 15:00-18:00
- Tea ceremony Festival at Yasaka Shrine, 9:00~
- Grand Procession, starts at Shijo Street, 9:00~
- Flower umbrella Procession at Yasaka Shrine, 10:00~
- Kyogen performance at Yasaka Shrine, 11:00~
- Mikoshi purification at the corner of Shijo Street and Kawabata Street, 20:00~
- Summer purification Ceremony at Yasaka Shrine, 10:00~
Enjoy the festive atmosphere!